Recently I went on a cross country road trip all by myself. The first time I went nearly insane! The second time, however, I did some research and asking around on ways to make it better. Sure, road trips with friends are amazing, I’m not going to deny that! But, something can be said about hitting the open road by yourself too. A chance to clear your head, live by your own time-clock, and have a good old adventure! You go about it the wrong way though and you will go insane… I’m here to help.
1. Make a few playlists before you go. Put some rock, rap, country, Arabian folk music, dubstep, or whatever the hell weird stuff you’re in to! Its your trip, and no one is there to judge you on your fucked up listening habits.
2. Mix it up a bit! A person will go crazy listening to that much music and nothing but music. Listen to some stand up comedy and get a good laugh. Find a book you have been wanting to read and throw that in your tape deck (or on your phone if you are under 70). Podcasts Too! Podcasts are a great way to fill time, and if you find the right ones, a lot of fun! My personal favorites are Ear Biscuits, Dear Hank and John, and The Cracked Podcast.
3. Don’t look at it as a whole. Break your trip in to chunks! Find a spot on the map a few hours out and look forward to that. If you are counting down twenty hours, it seems like FOREVER. If you count down four hours till you get to sit down for a meal and stretch your legs it won’t seem so bad.
4. Pack snacks! Pack whatever your heart desires. Beef jerky, gummy bears, bagel bites, anchovies. It’s your trip!
5. Even though you have snacks, stop for food and coffee whenever you want. A twenty two hour trip isn’t much different than a twenty hour trip and having a break from the freeway is nice!
6. Talk to people. Get a blu-tooth of course, but make sure to talk to people! Call your mom, or your best friend, or that collection agency that you have been dodging for months. It’s nice to have some time to yourself, but talking to people really makes the time go by quicker.
7. Talk to yourself! You are going to go crazy. Embrace it! Talk to yourself. Sing at the top of your lungs. It’s a long ass drive, you are going to have to get comfortable.